Can Beet Juice Help Your Athletic Performance
Beetroot juice is one of the most popular drinks among runners because it contains high amount of antioxidants which may prevent fatigue and improve your performance during exercise. You can get beet juice from various sources such as fresh or frozen. They come in different colors, flavors, and sizes. Some brands include: Beets Naturals (organic), Beets Organic (organic), Pure Cane Juice Company (natural), Blue Diamond Organics (certified organic) and many others.
The main benefits of drinking beet juice are:
1. Antioxidants – Beet juice is rich in vitamins A, B6, C, E and K2 which have been shown to reduce oxidative stress and protect against age related diseases.
These nutrients have been found to lower blood pressure and heart rate while increasing energy levels. The antioxidant content helps protect the body from free radical damage caused by exposure to air pollution, smoking, ultraviolet light rays and other environmental factors.
2. Boosts Energy Levels – Beet juice is known to increase energy levels and promote mental alertness.
It also improves stamina and strength during physical activity.
3. Improves Stamina During Exercise – Beet juice is believed to improve stamina during exercise due to its ability to enhance blood flow, relax muscles, decrease inflammation and stimulate the release of endorphins in the brain which reduces pain associated with exertion.
Regular intake can help treat fatigue and reduce the risk of muscle cramps.
4. Builds Muscle – Beet juice is rich in boron which helps the body use protein more efficiently.
It is an essential mineral that has been found to increase athletic performance by increasing muscle strength and endurance while reducing fatigue. It helps the body regulate levels of estrogen and testosterone, which may increase muscle mass and reduce fat storage.
Sources & references used in this article:
- What Is in Your Beet Juice? Nitrate and Nitrite Content of Beet Juice Products Marketed to Athletes (EJ Gallardo, AR Coggan – International journal of sport …, 2019 – journals.humankinetics.com)
- Latent therapeutic gains of beetroot juice. (RK Maheshwari, P Vishnu, J Laly – World Journal of …, 2013 – cabdirect.org)
- Beet juice, heart health and periods: what’s the link? (S Chartier – blood pressure, 2018 – avogel.ca)
- Top Superfoods That Enhance Athletic Performance Updated on September 14, 2017 (M Root, C Seeds – caloriebee.com)
- Moving With the Beet: Can It Enhance Athletic Performance? (K Lomangino – Clinical Nutrition Insight, 2012 – journals.lww.com)
- Toolbox:“BEET” THE COMPETITION! (A Guzman – pezcyclingnews.com)
- SPORTS PERFORMANCE (J DANILUK – juliedaniluk.com)