The Benefits of Box Squats
Benefits of Box Squats:
Box squats increase your power and strength. They improve your balance, coordination, flexibility, agility and overall athletic ability.
You will feel stronger than ever before!
They also promote better posture and health because they strengthen the core muscles which support the spine.
You can perform box squats with any kind of weight; however it is recommended that you use a light weight so that you don’t injure yourself too much during the exercise.
The box squat position allows you to avoid injuries such as sprains, strains, bruises and other minor pains.
You can perform box squats anywhere; however it is recommended that you do them indoors since they require less space.
Box Squat Position:
In order to get the best results from box squats, make sure that your knees are slightly bent and your feet flat on the floor. Your toes should point straight ahead.
Your head should not be held up by your hands or shoulders. Keep your back straight and keep your chest high.
If you have trouble keeping your back straight, then try doing box squats while holding onto something like a wall instead of holding onto a barbell. Try to maintain good form throughout the whole exercise!
You start the squat by slowly sitting back with the weight on your heels. Your knees should never go past your toes.
Descend at least until your hips are below your knee, but not beyond your ankle. This will strengthen the muscles of the hip in this position, which is very important for sprinting. Your descent should be slow and controlled.
The second part of the exercise is when you stand up again.
Sources & references used in this article:
- Comparison of kinetic variables and muscle activity during a squat vs. a box squat (JM McBride, JW Skinner, PC Schafer… – The Journal of …, 2010 – cdn.journals.lww.com)
- The Guessing Game–Box Squats Part III (D Wagman – usawa.com)
- WHY BOX SQUAT? (A Campbell – abrahamcampbellstrength.com)
- Tag Archives: Dan Wagman (ASFS Banner)
- Impact of accommodating resistance in potentiating horizontal-jump performance in professional rugby league players (D Wagman – usawa.com)
- Acceptance Date: April 3, 2018 (A Strokosch, L Louit, L Seitz… – … Journal of Sports …, 2018 – journals.humankinetics.com)
- Postactivation potentiation of horizontal jump performance across multiple sets of a contrast protocol (A Strokosch, L Louit, L Seitz, R Clarke – 2018 – researchgate.net)
- Contemporary training practices in elite British powerlifters: Survey results from an international competition (LB Seitz, MA Mina, GG Haff – Journal of strength and …, 2016 – ingentaconnect.com)